Friday, July 31, 2015
Call for Fairie Stories for Anthology: Wee Folk and Wise
A fantasy anthology to be edited by Deby Fredericks, for Sky Warrior Books.
Fairies. Big fairies and little fairies. Ugly fairies and pretty fairies. Wise fairies and silly fairies. Sweet fairies and scary fairies. Tell us your story about fairies, 2000-6500 words.
What we want:
1) Stories must feature fairies in a primary role. Fairies don't have to be the POV, however.
2) Fairies can be any of the traditional mythical fey-folk: pixies, sprites, elves, brownies, leprechauns, etc. International fairies are welcome.
3) Our audience may include young readers, so be prudent about mature content.
4) Original stories preferred over re-tellings of traditional tales. Reprints considered, but tell us from where and when, and make sure you own the reprint rights.
What we don't want:
1) Fairies don't have to be "good," but we aren't interested in outright monsters such as demons, werewolves, witches, dragons, vampires or ghosts.
2) Technology or stage magic/fakery. There must be a true supernatural element in the story.
3) LGBT fairies or Little People, again unless there is a true supernatural element.
4) Copyrighted characters and settings such as Disney, D&D, WoW or Middle Earth. Remember, your work must be original.
How to Submit:
1) Use e-mail:
anthologiesATskywarriorbooksDOTcom (Change AT to @ and DOT to . )
and send your story as an attachment in .rtf. Editor cannot read .docx files. If you send us a virus, we'll never look at your work again!
2) The subject line of your e-mail should read Wee Folk: "Story Title."
3) Use standard manuscript format: 1" margins, double spaced, 12-point Times New Roman or similar. Use italics or bold rather than underlining.
4) Place contact information, including your e-mail, on the first page of the manuscript.
Author pay is a share of royalties split among all the contributors.
The reading period will open on April 15, 2015 and close on October 15, 2015. Publication is scheduled for 2016.