RULES AND GUIDELINES FOR THE 2011 MEMPHIS MAGAZINE FICTION CONTEST
The winning story will earn a $1,000 grand prize and will be published in our annual Culture Issue, which runs in June. (The 2011 winner will appear in June 2012.) Two honorable mention awards of $500 each will be given if the quality of entries warrants. Below are contest rules:
1. Authors must live within 150 miles of Memphis.
2. Entries must be postmarked by August 1, 2011.
3. You may submit more than one story but each entry must be accompanied by a $10 entry fee, with checks or money orders payable to Memphis Magazine.
4. Each story should be typed, double-spaced, with unstapled, numbered pages. Stories should be between 3,000 and 4,500 words long.
5. Stories are not required to have a Memphis or Southern theme.
6. With each story should be a cover letter that gives us your name, address, phone number, and the title of your story. Please do not put your name anywhere on the manuscript itself.
7. Manuscripts may be previously published as long as previous publication was not in a national magazine with over 20,000 circulation or in a regional publication within Shelby County.
8. Manuscripts should be sent to:
Fiction Contest, c/o Memphis Magazine
P.O. Box 1738
Memphis, TN 38101
Please do not send faxes or emails. Authors wishing their manuscripts returned must include a self-addressed stamped envelope with each entry.
Winners will be contacted in mid-to-late September.
This contest is cosponsored by Burke's Book Store and The Booksellers at Laurelwood.
If you have further questions, call Marilyn Sadler at 521-9000, ext. 451, or via email. We look forward to receiving your stories.