Our shelves are empty, the online application form is published, and we are eager to read. Do you have a book published in 2016 or by mid-March 2017? The Virginia Festival of the Book is now accepting submissions for the 23rd annual Virginia Festival of the Book, March 22-26, 2017.
Guidelines and the online form can be found via How To Participate. The deadline is October 1, 2016.
Submit an Application here.
Submissions for the 2017 Virginia Festival of the Book are open! Please read the information and instructions below before submitting your application.
Deadline: October 1, 2016
- Online Applications: Only online applications are accepted. These may be submitted by authors, illustrators, or other publishing professionals.
- Agents and Representatives: Agents and author representatives are encouraged to submit if they have the authors’ consent. Please let the authors know that their names have been submitted for consideration.
- Publishing Date Priorities: Preference is given to books released either in hardback or paperback in 2016 and up to March 20, 2017. Books must be available for sale by March 20, 2017 in order to be considered for the 2017 Festival.
- Book or ARC submissions: An application is not complete until we have received two copies of the book or advanced reader’s copy [ARC]. Digital ARCs cannot be accepted. If it will not be available until after the October 1 deadline, please note that in the Comments box and let us know when it will be available. Books or ARCs not available by November 1 cannot be considered. We cannot return books. Submissions not accepted for inclusion in the Festival will be donated to the local library.
- Multiple submissions: If you wish to submit more than one title for an author, please provide details about the second title in the comments field. Please do not submit multiple forms for the same author, even if the books are in different genres and published by different publishers. Provide the necessary details in comments.
- Series authors: Please submit the title of the newest book in a series as of March 2017.
- Book Sales: The Festival arranges ALL book sales, working with local bookstores and booksellers; they arrange ordering books. (Upon occasion, authors will need to provide their own books, and we will notify individual authors when that is necessary.)
- Festival Structure: Most Festival programs offer panels with two to four participants and a moderator. Festival organizers select the panelists and assign the venues. Book sales and signing immediately follow and are held in the same venue.
- Publicity and Promotion: Participants and their books are promoted widely through the Festival website and printed materials; in regional and national media; and in blogs, podcasts, social media, and networking sites. The Festival will provide participants with a press release, Festival facts sheet, and logos.
- Previous Years’ Applications: Previous participants must reapply each year. In order to encourage diversity of Festival offerings, preference is given to authors who did not participate in the prior year’s Festival.
- Travel: Most authors are asked to assume some or all of the costs of participation, including travel and lodging.
- Decisions: Application notifications will be provided by January 15, 2017.
Questions? Please contact Festival staff at:
vabookATvirginiaDOTedu (Change AT to @ and DOT to . )