Calling all poets, flash fiction writers, and illustrators
A benefit project from Pirene’s Fountain
Now more than ever we must collectively work toward a better future for our earth and its children. As current custodians of this world, we need to assume some degree of responsibility, and bequeath our planet in a good condition to our new generation. Alone our reach is weak, but together we can harness the strength to speak up for those not allowed a voice.
Please join us in all ways possible to spread the word, to sell the books and raise funds for children with basic survival needs, for programs that help protect and educate children, and organizations that foster child advocacy. Turning away is not an option.
There are many ways in which you can participate. You can send in your work, you can write press releases, blurbs for promotion, you can speak to possible sponsors of various programs, approach corporations, arrange readings, encourage others to buy the book. Spread the word and support this work so the future of our world will have a chance.
Themes to be covered by this anthology:
Children caught in the crossfire of war and political strife, adult ambition and greed. Children who are victims of abuse, neglect, hunger, lack of clean water. Children who have succumbed to disease, mental illness and hopelessness. Children who are orphans, children who are institutionalized and in jails. Children denied education and protection. Children who have been traumatized by rape, incest, school shootings, etc. Disadvantaged and exploited children: child labor, slavery, human trafficking, terrorism, prostitution & pornography.
Collateral Damage, A Pirene’s Fountain Anthology
Submission Information—opens September 1, 2015
Please send written work to:
pfanthologyATgmailDOTcom (Change AT to @ and DOT to . )
in a word attachment, and B&W illustrations in high res jpg file with minimum 300dpi. Images must be clear, clean and crisp.
We will respond in 2 weeks with acknowledgement of receipt. If the piece does not work for the anthology, or if it fits perfectly, we will respond within 1-2 months. If we want to consider the work further, we will write and ask permission to hold on to it for a longer period. While previously published work will be considered, simultaneous submissions will not.
1. Since this is a benefit book, contributors copies will be NOT be sent out. Contributors may purchase the book directly from GLP at a deep discount.
2. Your work will demand a place in the book if it belongs there; credentials and awards will matter less than the work you submit.
3. We are looking for high quality, impactful, beautifully crafted, layered and lyrical language. We want it all—power, color, emotion.
4. Send your submissions to Ami at pfanthologyATgmailDOTcom
5. Please type “CD,” first & last name in subject line
6. If you wish, you may send a short cover note. A bio is not required at the time of the submission. We will request a bio if your work is selected because you may want to update it prior to galley preparation. By its very nature this book will be highly selective. If your submission is not accepted the first time, you may send out another submission for consideration.
7. Please join/”like” the Collateral Damage Anthology page to get the best and most current information and updates!
Since we may get too many pieces on a particular topic, or too few, we will announce what we need and which “topics” have been filled on the Collateral Damage Anthology page.
I am not looking to make profits through this project. I will gladly give my time, attention, and energy to this project and will not touch a cent myself. However, I do have to pay my production staff, the printers, retail discounts, and our distributing networks. The rest we will donate to UNICEF, and also to “100 Thousand Poets for Change.”
To make any kind of significant impact, we will need to sell a LOT of books, and you can all help to spread the word not only within our literary and academic circles but beyond. We need to promote this cause anywhere and everywhere possible: schools, universities, book stores, child advocacy organizations, hospitals, libraries, coffee houses, eateries, retail stores, corporations, malls, etc.
Please make a commitment to participate and get involved in one way or another. We can make this happen together. Let us help the children of our world~ Thank you all!