THE 2014 ERIC HOFFER BOOK AWARD
SMALL PRESSES * ACADEMIC PRESSES * MICRO PRESSES * SELF-PUBLISHERS --
$2,000 GRAND PRIZE -- LOW ENTRANCE FEE ($50)
All books accepted.
The Eric Hoffer Book Award recognizes excellence in
independent publishing. Prizes awarded by genre, press, the Montaigne Medal, the
da Vince Eye, the First Horizon Award, and the Hoffer grand prize. (See
submission guidelines below, in Writer’s Market, or by visiting
HofferAward.com.) E-books also accepted.
A single registration qualifies you for:
* $2,000 grand prize (the Eric Hoffer Award for Books)
* Winner of the Montaigne Medal for most thought-provoking books
* Winner of the da Vinci Eye for best covers
* Winner of the First Horizon Award for debut authors
* Winner and First Runner-Up in your selected category
* Honorable Mentions for your selected category
* Individual Awards for Micro, Small, and Academic Presses, as well as
* Legacy categories for any book older than two years (fiction and nonfiction)
* Award coverage in the US Review of Books and on the Hoffer Award website
* Gold Seal Certificates
* Worldwide Exposure
Categories include Art, Poetry, General Fiction, Commercial Fiction, Children,
Young Adult, Culture, Memoir, Business, Reference, Home, Health,
Self-Help/Spiritual, Legacy Fiction, Legacy Nonfiction, E-book Fiction, and
E-book Nonfiction. (There is a category for every book.)
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES (entry deadline January 21st, 2014):
Awards are open to academic, independent, small press, and self-published
books that were released or copyrighted in the last 2 years, including unique
books with small print runs. (Books over 2 years enter the Legacy Fiction or
Legacy Nonfiction category.)
One grand prize will be awarded for the entire contest. In addition, each
category will be awarded a winner, runner-up, and multiple honorable mentions.
Books must be registered by category and then are automatically considered for
Individual Press Awards, the Montaigne Medal, the da Vinci Eye, and the Hoffer
For each entry, submit the book, entry form, and $50 fee (check, money
order, or Internet payment receipt) to:
Hopewell Publications, LLC
PO Box 11
Titusville, NJ 08560
Be certain to specify award category and press type.
Registration will be confirmed via e-mail. In May, all entrants will be notified
of winners. Submissions must be postmarked by January 21, 2014.
ENTRY FORM on our website. (submit one entry form per book). Click on the “Nominate” link.
AWARD CATEGORIES (select one per entry application):
* ART: titles involving the experience, execution, or demonstration of the arts,
including art, fine art, graphic art, architecture, performing arts, design,
photography, coffee table books, and poetry.
* POETRY: Titles with poetry or highly stylized prose.
* GENERAL FICTION: non-genre specific fiction, including literary, short story
collections, and mainstream.
* COMMERCIAL FICTION: genre specific fiction, including mystery, thriller,
suspense, science fiction, religion, romance, and horror.
* CHILDREN: titles for young children, including stories and picture books.
* YOUNG ADULT: titles aimed at the juvenile and teen markets.
* CULTURE: titles demonstrating the human or world experience, including
multicultural, essay, women’s issues, sexuality, gay, lesbian, memoir, aging,
travel, sports, true crime, and current events.
* MEMOIR: titles capturing specific personal experience.
* BUSINESS: titles with application to today’s business environment and emerging
trends, including general business, career, computer, and Internet.
* REFERENCE: titles from traditional and emerging reference areas, including
history, psychology, biography, science, philosophy, education, sports,
recreation, training, travel, and how-to.
* HOME: titles with practical application to home or home-related issues,
including general home, gardening, cooking, parenting, family, interior design,
animals, and pets.
* HEALTH: titles promoting physical, mental, and emotional well-being, including
psychology, fitness, and sex.
* SELF-HELP: titles involving traditional and emerging self-help subjects.
* SPIRITUAL: titles involving the mind and spirit, including religion,
metaphysical, and mystical.
* LEGACY FICTION: all fiction titles over two years of age. (Unlike major trade
organizations, we think good books last more than a single season.)
* LEGACY NONFICTION: all nonfiction titles over two years of age. (Unlike major
trade organizations, we think good books last more than a single season.)
* E-BOOK FICTION: any fiction titles published in e-book format.
* E-BOOK NONFICTION: any nonfiction titles published in e-book format.
INDIVIDUAL PRESS AWARDS (select only one):
In addition to the above category awards, books will be singled out for
additional awards in the micro press, small press, academic press, as well as
self-published arenas. Please check one of the following types on the
* SELF-PUBLISHED – title financed by author or not by the publisher (regardless
of press size).
* MICRO PRESS – title from a press producing 24 books or less per year.
* SMALL PRESS – title from a press producing 25 books or more per year.
* ACADEMIC PRESS – title from a press with an academic or library affiliation.
ADDITIONAL AWARD DISTINCTIONS:
All registered titles will automatically be considered for the following:
* MONTAIGNE MEDAL – most thought provoking book(s).
* DA VINCI EYE – books with superior cover art.
* FIRST HORIZON AWARD ¬– superior books by debut authors.
If you don’t see your category or cannot determine your press designation,
please e-mail us with a description and our staff will guide you. A great book
will supersede any category designation.
Visit our website.
(Change AT to @ and DOT to .)
Fax: (609) 964-1718
The Eric Hoffer Awards
PO Box 11
Titusville, NJ 08560
Please be patient, we receive many inquiries this time of year. We will help