- The award is open to writers of fiction and creative nonfiction, whether or not they have previously published a book.
- Eligible submissions include an unpublished manuscript of short stories or essays; two or more novellas or novella-length essays; a combination of one or more novellas/novella-length essays and short stories/essays; a combination of stories and essays. Novellas or novella-length nonfiction must be part of a larger collection. Manuscripts may be no fewer than 150 and no more than 350 typed double-spaced pages, 12-point font. Prior publication of your manuscript as a whole in any format (including electronic or self-published) makes it ineligible. Individual stories or essays that have been previously published may be included in the manuscript. Each submission must include a list of acknowledgments of previously published work (title and magazine/journal/anthology) included in the manuscript.
- All submissions must be accompanied by a $25 entry fee.
- All manuscripts will be judged anonymously. The author’s name must not appear anywhere on the manuscript. All identifying information will be submitted through the online submission manager only.
- Manuscripts may also be under consideration by other publishers, but if a manuscript is accepted for publication elsewhere, the submission should be promptly withdrawn from consideration.
- Authors may submit more than one manuscript to the competition as long as one manuscript or a portion thereof does not duplicate material submitted in another manuscript and a separate entry fee is paid.
- Deadline to submit is February 20, 2016 via our online submission manager.
Please visit our website thejournalmag.org/prose-prize or contact:
prizeATthejournalmagDOTorg (Change AT to @ and DOT to .)
for any inquiries.