New Letters: A Magazine of Writing and Art Call for Writing
$1,500: The New Letters Poetry Award
$1,500: The Dorothy Churchill Cappon Essay Award
$1,500: The Alexander Patterson Cappon Fiction Award
All entrants will be considered for publication and will receive a one-year subscription to New Letters.*
Deadline: postmark by May 18, 2011,
or enter online at www.newletters.org.
1. Simultaneous submissions are welcome. Please notify us if work is accepted elsewhere. Submit unpublished work only. No refunds will be issued.
2. Enclose with each entry:
a. $15 for first entry; $10 for each entry after. $15 entry includes cost of a one-year (four issues) New Letters subscription, an extension of a current subscription, or a gift subscription. Make checks payable to New Letters Literary Awards. *Entries from outside the United States receive all contest privileges except the subscription.
b. Two cover sheets--the first with complete name, address, e-mail/phone number, category, and title(s); and the second with category and title(s) only. Personal information should not appear anywhere else on the entry.
c. A stamped, self-addressed postcard (optional) for notification of receipt and entry number.
d. A stamped, self-addressed envelope (optional) for a list of the winners.
3. Manuscripts will not be returned. No refunds will be issued. No substitutions or revisions.
4. Entries in fiction and essay are not to exceed 8,000 words. Poetry entries may contain up to six poems. They need not be related.
5. Multiple entries are welcome with appropriate fees.
6. Current students and employees at the University of Missouri-Kansas City, and current volunteer members of the New Letters and BkMk Press staffs, are not eligible.
All entries are considered for publication. First runners-up will receive a copy of a recent book of poetry or fiction from our affiliate BkMk Press. One winner and one runner-up will be selected in each category. Winners will be announced mid-September 2011. $1,500 prize money paid to each winner upon publication in our awards issue. Join our community of writers.
New Letters is an international magazine of writing and art. Previous final judges include Philip Levine, Maxine Kumin, Gerald Early, Joyce Carol Oates, Rishi Reddi, Mary Jo Salter, Floyd Skloot, Carole Maso, Cornelius Eady, and Margot Livesey.
THE 26TH-ANNUAL LITERARY AWARDS
Submit electronically at www.newletters.org, or mail entries to:
NEW LETTERS LITERARY AWARDS,
University House, 5101 Rockhill Road
University of Missouri-Kansas City
Kansas City, MO 64110