Monday, July 25, 2022

Call for Submissions: Memoir Mondays' First Person Singular

Submitting *original* personal essays for the new “First Person Singular” section:

I’ve just launched “First Person Singular,” a sub-newsletter featuring original personal essays. Right now, given my workload and general need to make a living, I have the time and bandwidth to accept and edit *one* essay per month. If subscriptions grow to the point that they are more sustaining and I can focus more on this and less on other jobs, I will consider adding more pieces to the roster, adding an additional section for craft essays, and possibly hiring other editors.

What I’m looking for/pay rates/how to submit:

Completed personal essays of 1500 to 2500 words. I will not be assigning from pitches.

I’m interested in a diverse variety of authors subjects and voices and tones, and look generally for pieces that make meaning of deeply personal experiences. (Basically, what good first-person writing does.) Something I love but don’t see enough of: essays in which writers consider difficult experiences through the lens of absurdity.

The pay rate is $200. You retain all rights, but I ask that you wait 90 days before reprinting elsewhere, that you credit First Person Singular with original publication, and link to the original if you are reprinting online.

To submit, email the following to:

pitch2sari@gmail.com (*NOT* the Memoir Monday email)

Include: Your completed personal essay, with a well-written, brief synopsis of the piece (a paragraph or two) in the email. In the subject line, write “First Person Singular:” followed by the title of your piece.

More information here.

No comments: