Saturday, September 12, 2020

Call for Submissions on Theme of "As Seen on TV": Witness

I used to think that I should watch TV
I used to think that it was good for me
Wanted to know what folks were thinking
To understand the land I live in
And I would lose myself
And it would set me free
      -St. Vincent & David Byrne, "I Should Watch TV"

Witness is currently reading for our Spring 2021 print issue: As Seen on TV. As COVID-19 continues to impact our lives, many of us have turned to television as a source of comfort. Yet, these familiar shows are now populated by characters and situations that seem at odds with our current conditions of face-masks, social distancing, and the looming threat to our health. Our lives have become stranger than fiction. Therefore, we are interested in stories that capture this strangeness, and can speak to television as culture, as medium, as entertainment, as sales pitch, or maybe as a source for change... Consider us your captive audience.

If you’d like to familiarize yourself with the magazine, we encourage you to check out our past issues, which are readily available online.

Submissions will be open until October 1st, or until we reach our maximum submissions.

Submit your work here. 

Witness pays $25 for every 1,500 words of prose and $25 per poem, ($50 for long poems, 3+ pages) for both print and online work.

No comments: