Hyacinth Girl Press will hold our open reading period for 2015 from April 1st - June 30th. Submitting is fee-free because classism makes us sad.
This year we're taking poetry AND prose chapbooks! The fabulous Sarah Reck will head up our very first prose venture. As always, Margaret Bashaar will read your poetry, and this year Tess Wilson-Gay will also read your poetry.
- up to 25 pages of poetry, max. Seriously. No more than that.
- No previously published manuscripts. (individual poems are fine, though, obviously. We aren't fascists.)
- We like cover letters and a bio.
- Did we accept your manuscript last year? Yes? Wait a year before sending to us again.
- Send your manuscript as a .doc, .docx, or .pdf to:
hyacinthgirlpressATgmailDOTcom (Change AT to @ and DOT to . )
- up to 8,000 words, max.
- Any combination of short stories or flash fiction should be read as a collection
- Same as above otherwise, except all submissions should be sent to:
hgp.proseATgmailDOTcom (Change AT to @ and DOT to . )
What are we into? The best way to know is to buy a chapbook from us (they are only $6). That said, here is a list of what we are hoping to see more of in poetry-land:
- Poets of color.
- Queer poets
- Poets working/existing outside of academia
We'll be open for 3 months, which will hopefully mean our most fruitful submissions period yet. We are incredibly excited to read your work!