2010 Sylvia K. Burack Scholarship competition is now open
Award : $500 and a year's subscription to The Writer
Judges: The Writer editors
Deadline: March 1, 2010
The Sylvia K. Burack Scholarship is a writing contest for full-time college students. The award is made in memory of Sylvia K. Burack, longtime editor-in-chief and publisher of The Writer. Burack was known for her dedication to helping writers and editors.
You must be 18 or older and a full-time undergraduate student at a university or college in the U.S. or Canada at the time of entry. The winner will be asked to provide proof of enrollment.
• Submit 2 copies of a previously unpublished 600- to 800-word personal essay in English on the following topic: "Select a work of fiction or poetry that has influenced the way you view the world andthe way you view yourself. Discuss the work and explain how it affected you."
• Entries will be judged on the quality of the writing, including grammar, punctuation and expression of ideas. Only essays written on the specified topic (see rule 1) will be considered.
• Include a cover page with the essay title and word count, as well as your name, address, phone number and e-mail address. Contact information must be valid through July 2010. (See rule 9.) Also include the name and address of your school. Place only the title (not your name) at the top of each page of the essay. Entries must be typed and double-spaced on standard letter-size paper. Number each page. Paperclip the pages together.
• The award is open to students in the U.S. and Canada enrolled full-time in an undergraduate college or university at the time of entry.(Do not send transcripts with entries.) Employees of Kalmbach Publishing Co. are not eligible to participate.
• Only one entry per student will be accepted.
• Send entries to:
Sylvia K. Burack Scholarship, The Writer
21027 Crossroads Circle, P.O. Box 1612
Waukesha, WI 53187-1612
• Entries must be postmarked by March 1, 2010.
• Entries will not be returned. Do not send originals.
• If the winning entrant cannot be reached by July 1, 2010, the runner-up will be awarded the scholarship.
• The winner will be announced in July 2010 and will receive $500 and a year's subscription to The Writer.
Questions? Contact us at contest(at)WriterMag.com (replace (at) with @)