2017 Southern Fried Karma Novel Contest
Southern Fried Karma seeks unpublished fiction for its 2017 Novel Contest. We focus on cultivating the artistic voices of the new millennium with a Southern accent. The successful manuscript will go beyond stereotypical depictions and illuminate the multiplicity of the Southern experience; past, present, or future; the good, the bad, and especially the unexpected.
1. The contest is open to ALL writers except close friends or family of the judging committee or judge.
2. The contest will be adjudicated by a panel of established authors and teaching professionals selected by the publisher.
3. There is no reading or entry fee.
4. The winner will receive a $1500 advance on a book publishing contract with SFK Press.
5. All finalists are eligible for contracts as well.
6. Manuscripts should be between 60,000-90,000 words. Files should be in .pdf or .docx format (Word).
7. The manuscript must be properly formatted as follows:
· Set a 1″ margin on all sides
· 12-point type
· Times New Roman, Courier or Arial font
· Double-space the entire text
· Use a title page
· Don’t number the title page
· In the upper right corner, begin numbering with the first page of text
· Start each new chapter on its own page, one-third of the way down the page
· The chapter number and chapter title should be in all caps, separated by two hyphens
· Begin the body of the chapter four to six lines below the chapter title
· Indent fives spaces for each new paragraph
8. All manuscripts should include authors name, email address and title in the HEADER. Include your contact information on the title page
9. Manuscripts should be submitted through our online portal only, no snail mail or email attachments.
10. Include a brief letter with your manuscript that provides your name, address, contact information and the title of your novel.
11. Contest period opens on March 1st, 2017, closing at midnight on May 31, 2017.
12. The finalist will be notified by June 30th
13. The winner will be announced August 1st.
Sincerely, Kelsey Asher
Southern Fried Karma Press
"Cultivating the artistic voices of the New South"