Salamander 2010 Fiction Prize
$1,500 Honorarium and Publication
Final Judge: Jill McCorkle
SEND ENTRIES: May 15 through June 15, 2010
READING FEE: $15
• All entries will be considered for publication. All entries will be considered anonymously.
• Send no more than one story per entry. Each story must not exceed 40 double-spaced pages in 12 point font. Multiple entries are acceptable, provided that a separate reading fee is included with each entry.
• Please submit two separate cover sheets with each entry, one with the title of the story ONLY, and the other with the title of the story and your name, address, phone number, and email. Your name should NOT appear anywhere on the story itself.
• Simultaneous submissions are acceptable, but the contest fee is non-refundable if the submission is withdrawn. Please notify the editors as soon as possible if a submitted story is accepted elsewhere.
• Previously published works and works accepted for publication elsewhere cannot be considered. Salamander’s definition of publishing includes electronic publication.
• No handwritten, faxed, emailed, or poorly copied/printed manuscripts will be considered.
• Salamander will not consider work from anyone currently or recently (within the past 4 years) affiliated with Suffolk University or the prize judge.
• If you wish to be notified of the arrival of your manuscript, please enclose a self-addressed stamped postcard. Please also include a self-addressed stamped business-sized envelope for notification of contest results.
• Contest reading fee includes a one-year subscription. Checks should be made out to Salamander. We will send your subscription to the address on your cover sheet unless instructed otherwise. Overseas addresses, please add $10 for subscription postage ($5 for addresses in Canada). Please note that we cannot accept money orders or checks from foreign banks.
Jill McCorkle has published five novels and three collections of short stories, the most recent being Going Away Shoes (2009). Five of her eight books have been named New York Times notable books. She has received the New England Book Award, the John Dos Passos Prize for Excellence in Literature, and the North Carolina Award for Literature. She teaches in the MFA in Creative Writing Program at North Carolina State.
SEND ENTRIES FROM MAY 15 THROUGH JUNE 15 (postmark deadline) to:
2010 Fiction Prize
Salamander/Suffolk University English Dept.
41 Temple Street
Boston, MA 02114